The History of Scribblings


Someone asked me a great question the other day. How did I get started writing? Beyond the fact that it has always been something I've just done, and have always done, I had to think about it for a minute. I realized that everyone has a story. Especially when a person was born with a talent or passion for their pursuit. Me? My story started as an only child to a single mom.

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents as a kid and my grandfather was my favorite person growing up, as I didn't get to see my Dad at the time. I must have been about three or four years old. One day, my grandma bought me a spiral bound notebook and some pens. I remember spending hours, literally hours, sitting in a room, by myself, under a lamp, "writing" away. I was too young to actually write so my kind of writing back then consisted of never ending cursive "e's" along each and every line. I filled what must have been about half the book that night.

When my grandfather came in to check on me, I remember him sitting down on the bed next to me while I continued to sit on the floor, "writing." He asked me what I was writing, so I started to "read" to him the stories I had been creating from my e's. Neither one of us remembers what I read, but I know I'll never forget him sitting there, patiently listening to each and every story.

To this day, I still use notebooks to write every piece down on before converting it to type. I have a trunk full of notebooks now though most have been saved on flash drives. But my story just goes to show that everyone starts somewhere. So think about your own story and why you write. Do you write for a reason or do you write with purpose and because you have to? Now I have never considered myself to be in a league anywhere near Hemingway, Bukowski, Joyce, Austen or King as I said in my earlier post, Scribbling. But I still like to scribble and am lucky enough to get to do it for a living.

So what's your story?

Enjoy my post? Want to read more? Then subscribe to Scribblings and never miss a post. Also, please check out my new website next week with my new food blog on enaccolademedia.com and sign up for the free emails to get updates, tips, recipes and more.

Thanks for reading!

The Scribbler


Comments

Popular Posts