The Effective Mindset


I haven't written in a while. It isn't because I didn't have anything to say. I always seem to even if I don't talk. But sometimes your mindset can affect whether or not you actually communicate with your audience. Now I know you are asking either, "What the heck do you mean by 'mindset?'" or "What IS mindset?" Well, I'm glad you asked!

According to dictionary.com, mindset is an established attitude or intention. But having an effective mindset is all about maintaining it and seeing it through to reach your goals. Having goals as an entrepreneur and especially as a writer, is incredibly important. Being a writer, a full-time-make-your-living-in-this-artist-lifestyle writer, is an incredibly solitary life. You have to be alone to write, to create. How else would you concentrate with half a dozen people around you constantly talking your ear off?! I don't know about you, but that sounds exhausting to me anyway! But this means having the creative entrepreneur mindset. I'll talk more about being a creative entrepreneur in a future post but for now just remember that you need three things for an effective mindset in this business.

  1. The Get-My-List-Done nagging voice. Productivity and staying productive is a constant challenge. I have a board dedicated to productivity tips on my Pinterest account under En Accolade Media should you need ideas for keeping up with the business Jones's. Not being consistent will make your writing and creativity rusty. Talent is like a muscle after all. Don't use it, you lose it. Readership applies too.
  2. The Positive only, no negativity surroundings. Having a little piece of the world to call your own where you can create to your heart's content, free from toxic people and relationships, will always be more creatively productive. Writer's block only happens when you run out of imagination or creativity stunting. In another post I will discuss ways to help your writing creativity flow more. Not to say that writer's block doesn't happen to the best of us. It is just something that with the right mindset can be avoided with practice.
  3. A way to center yourself and stay grounded to press on. Some people do yoga, others run or go to the gym. Myself, I dance, hike with the dog or ride my horse. Exercise always improves your mood. Scientifically because of the hormones it releases. Metaphysically because of the chakras it activates and the energies that are allowed to flow through you better. Whatever reason floats your boat, there are very few things that help an artist as much as finding your center and connection with the world around you.
So if you want to become a writer and not just a hobbist, ask yourself...what is YOUR mindset? Maybe you too could have what it takes.

Interested in finding out more about writing for a living and what that could mean for you? Subscribe to my blog and never miss an update on the writer's life, work, tips and more!

Thanks for reading!

The Scribbler

Comments

Popular Posts